17 November 2014

Birth Secret Review

Title: Birth Secret
AKA: The Secret of Birth / Secret Birth
Genre: Family, Melodrama, Romance, Comedy
Episodes: 18
Broadcast period: 2013-Apr to 2013-Jun
Cast: Yoo Joon Sang, Sung Yoo Ri, Kal So Won, Kim Gab Soo, Lee Jin and Kim Young Kwang.

Jung Yi Hyun (Kim So Hyun) is high IQ’d genius with photographic memory. While getting the best grades and maintaining first place at a top high school, Yi Hyun’s ambitions are roof-high and quite simple: she wants to get the best education and earn loads of money. But due to change of her major and interest in Finances, she is unable to get a scholarship to her wanted school Harvard.  Also the fact that she lost her mother earlier that year she loses her only way of getting any money. After meeting her father for the first time and asking him for money, Yi Hyun falls asleep in her childhood home, but wakes up on the street 10 years in the future.
Wearing worn out clothes and leaking milk from her chest, Yi Hyun (Sung Yoo Ri) is shocked to see her 10 year older self, and tries to find answers - and thanks to her great brain she is able to meet the family that she had forgotten but always wanted. Ignoring the fact that she is wearing a ring and that she might be a mother, Yi Hyun decided to stay with her perfect rich family, unaware that her poor and uneducated husband Hong Kyung Doo (Yoo Joon Sang) is waiting, with their newly born child, for her to return home. What had happened in those 10 years and how did she end up marrying a man whom she’d never think about twice?

When I read about this drama I was surprised that it was from 2013 because I had never heard of it before, and 2013 is really close by. The summary intrigued me, but I never really knew about the actors, though I know about FIN.K.Ls Sung Yoo Ri. Even though I wasn’t really that satisfied with the acting (from almost everyone) I have to admit for the first time I didn’t care. The storyline is so good and the way of screen play is so great that I really didn’t mind the overacting and the awkwardness. I felt that the story was honest and quite realistic even though it was a melodrama. It’s not really a makjang - so that is what makes it quite good. It has the good parts of a makjang while not being a makjang.
I’d rather not spoil anything, so to put it simply I like it and I do recommend it for people who like good story.

☆☆☆☆ / 4 out of 5 stars

♥♥♥♥½ / 4½ out of 5 hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment