27 September 2014

Successful Story of a Bright Girl Review

Title: Successful Story of a Bright Girl
AKA: Cheerful Girl’s Success Story / A Bright Girl’s Success Story
Genre: Comedy, Romance
Episodes: 16
Broadcast date: 2002-Mar to 2002-May
Cast: Jang Na Ra, Jang Hyuk, Han Eun Jung and Ryu Soo Young.

Cha Yang Soon (Jang Na Ra) is a happy and rather naïve high school student living on the countryside. Because of her parents’ swindling tendencies, everyone who has been swindled goes looking for Yang Soon demanding their money back. So she decides to accept a job in Seoul as a housekeeper in order to pay back.
Han Gi Tae (Jang Hyuk) is a newly appointed CEO of his late fathers’ cosmetic company. Arrogant and cocky has made his cousin Oh Joon Tae (Ryu Soo Young) jealous of the success and believes he is entitled to the company. But he is keeping it to himself, dreaming of overthrowing Gi Tae.
One day while parachuting, Gi Tae falls into the bathtub of Yang Soon, and the two bicker, which eventually leads to remarks and hostility. What both don’t know is that they meet again as the housekeeping job Yang Soon landed is no other than Gi Tae’s house.
When Gi Tae suddenly and cruelly is betrayed by the people he trust the most, he is surprised to find help from no other than his house maid Yang Soon…

This is one of the most recommended love stories and Korean dramas on the drama addict web, and I really don’t know why. I’m usually open to all kinds of dramas, and I tend not to let my emotions get in the way, but this was one loooong drama. I never knew 16 episodes could feel like this. Maybe I was expecting too much because I like both actors (Jang Hyuk and Jang Na Ra), but it really didn’t work at all. It made me remember why I don’t like old Korean dramas. There are way too many clichés, way too much unnecessarily jealous fighting and just too much pretending not to like each other. Also too little actual genuine ‘love’, like I didn’t feel it at all. The only thing I did like was what happened at the beginning, but that was also the grandma who was center, and you gotta admit, if a grandma steals the limelight you really need to step up the game.
LOL, all in all, probably a classic and if I had watched it 12 years ago I would have loved it, but now that I have watched so many dramas, this just was not unique enough…

☆☆☆ / 3 out 5 stars

♥♥♥ / 3 out of 5 hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment