10 January 2014

Lifting King King Movie Review

Title: Lifting King Kong
AKA: Lift King Kong
Genre: Sports, Drama
Origin: Korea
Release date: July 2, 2009
Cast: Lee Beom Soo, Jo An, Byun Hee Bong a.m.o.

Lee Ji Bong (Lee Beom Soo) a former 1988 Summer Olympics heavy lifting bronze medalist was forced into a an early retirement when he was injured and broke his arm. The injury would have healed, but while being examined it was found out that he had a chronic heart condition which would incapable him to continue his career. While working odd jobs he is visited by former coach who insists on him becoming a coach at a high school weight-lifting team for girls. He reluctantly agrees and is surprised to see that the team hasn’t even been made yet, and to make matters worse the group that forms is a group of outcasts. Here he also meets Park Young Ja (Jo An) a poor girl with lots of ambition but no one to turn to. At first he doesn’t seem to care, but as time passes he starts to open up to the girls, and makes up his mind to make the girls winners..

While watching this I was somewhat happy about the storyline, and it made me kind of giddy because of the humor. But it somehow became a bit too typical and the cinematic made me know what was going to happen in the next few minutes. I know that is why they are there, but I was a bit bored by it dragging itself in the usual Korean drama stories. And every scene seemed to end abruptly; it kind of freaked me out. BUT I have to admit I was crying like a baby at the end. For some reason the acting just made me believe it completely and I was SOLD. The cast was chosen wisely and the actors where really good at their acting, so it does make it worth a while.
I would recommend it to people in general, just because it is a heartwarming story.

☆☆☆½ / 3½ out of 5 stars

♥♥♥½ / 3½ out of  5 hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment